Happy Friday everyone! I missed you last week but I was pretty lazy and didn’t make time to get my Foodie post done for the week!
So this week I am back with an amazing one! (Have you ever noticed that I don’t show up on Friday with a “disgusting recipe” to share? That is because I don’t share those ones, and believe me, we’ve had plenty of them!)
But today I have an this amazing Broccoli Cheddar Soup. One of my favorite things about this particular soup is that you make it in the crockpot. I think by now you guys already know that I like easy meal options, right? Which makes a slow cooker recipe all the more appealing to me.
I was a tad bit hesitant to try this as we’ve had two not so great experiences with Broccoli soup. Which might make one think it was time to stop trying to make it, right? Not me! Once we were given a bunch of broccoli out of someone’s garden and I decided to make our first batch of soup. I washed it, made the soup and to this point noticed nothing wrong. BUT, as I was bringing the spoon to my mouth something caught my eye… A bug! And then I looked at my bowl only to see more bugs! I guess between the broccoli itself and the pepper, I just didn’t see it, but I’m glad I caught it when it really mattered! The second time Travis had made it and it was super thick, more like a dip and once again we ended up tossing it. So you can see my hesitation, right? But this was the right thickness/creaminess and bug free!
Butter, flour and now milk being gradually added.
Broccoli tops, cream cheese, garlic, onion, Italian seasoning all tossed in the crockpot.
Wait until your creamy mixture is thickening up.
Then pour it right over all the goodies in the crockpot
Then add chicken broth
Cook for 4-ish hours and then add your cheese. Stir until mixed and then you are ready to eat!
I know in some areas it is really starting to heat up already, but this will totally be worth eating even on a warm day!
Recipe adapted from Crème de la Crumb
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk – (I used half and half)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ onion, diced
- 3-4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- extra cheese for garnish
- In a sauce pan, melt butter. After completely melted, stir in the flour until mixture clumps up. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until it becomes a thick white sauce.
- Add all other ingredients (EXCEPT cheddar cheese) to the slow cooker. Add the sauce from the pan and stir until completely mixed. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
- Uncover soup and add the sharp cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts into the soup. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Top with additional cheese for garnish.
This soup is amazing. My little kids are already broccoli eaters but I wasn’t sure how they were going to react to the soup. Zach thought it was too thick but otherwise liked it and both Tyler and Summer asked for seconds, which is a WIN in my book!
What about you? Do you like Broccoli Cheddar Soup? If your answer is no, I really think you should give this recipe a chance! If your answer is yes, then hurry up and make this because it is amazing!