The other day I pulled out one of the many packages of frozen shredded zucchini that I have in the freezer from the abundance of zucchini I came into over the summer. I was craving some bread, or cookies. But I stuck it in the refrigerator to thaw and sort of… forgot about it. A couple of days later I spotted it and wasn’t in the mood for bread so I hopped on to my beloved Pinterest and typed in “Zucchini desserts”. You can guess that there are many forms of desserts that you can make but I saw a lot of Chocolate cakes and decided to give it a try. I mean, who isn’t intrigued by Chocolate Zucchini Cake?
This is one of those recipes where I found it on Pinterest but that person adapted it from another person who adapted it from another person… you get the idea. But the recipe I followed is from The Baker Upstairs.
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray your 9×13 pan.
- In one bowl mix together oil, sugar, vanilla, egg and milk until combines.
- Add Zucchini
- In a second bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet mixture and mix.
- Pour into your 9×13 pan and bake for 25-28 minutes. (mine took a few extra minutes)
- Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Beat the butter until fluffy
- Mix in vanilla and milk
- Mix in Cocoa and powdered sugar
- Whip until mixture is smooth and creamy.
You are seriously going to love this cake. And something really funny about it- Tyler and Summer helped me make this while Travis and Zach were in another room. Later that night after the kids were all in bed I was sneaking a second piece and made a comment about how you don’t even know that there is zucchini in this cake. Travis says, “There was zucchini in the cake?” Haha! He didn’t even know until that moment, THAT is how good this cake is!
So what are you waiting for? Go make yourself some delicious Zucchini cake!