A few weeks ago I came across this Creamy Cauliflower Soup on Pinterest and wanted to immediately try it. I love cauliflower and I love potato soup and I figured it would be similar so I wrote down all of the ingredients and picked them up at the grocery store that following weekend.
The next week I got everything chopped up and ready, then cooked it up- It didn’t take long and we were filling our bellies with warm soup.
At this point, you can imagine how amazing my house was smelling! It was mouth watering!
I used half low sodium broth and half regular broth- because it’s what I already had. But it was fine and I don’t think it actually made any difference.
Ingredients (Adapted from The Miniature Moose)
- 1 head cauliflower, remove large stem and chop the rest into small pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf (I didn’t use this in mine!)
- 4 – 6 slices bacon, cooked and diced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and cauliflower. Cook until slightly tender. About 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in flour and garlic. Whisk until blended.
- Add in broth, milk and cream then bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to low heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top with crisp bacon and cheese.
Any time I make a new meal I always ask everyone, “What’s the verdict?” and this particular soup didn’t exactly “win over” my kids. Zach, who is 12, said it was ok. But Tyler and Summer, who are 4 and 2, would barely touch it. My husband thought it was good and I thought it was delicious. I ended up eating leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day!
Yum, who is ready for a delicious creamy soup? What is your favorite soup?