In an effort to keep myself and my family healthy I started using my essential oils to make things to clean my house to reduce the chemical load that we brought in. And that is why I decided to make essential oil toilet bombs to start!
One day when I was using a chemical-filled toilet cleaner I found myself coughing uncontrollably and it actually took me a moment to put it together and walk out of the room to realize that my lungs were reacting to the cleaner.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure if someone came to my house and looked around they will see plenty of things that are no good for my family to be using. I’m not sure my house will ever be completely chemical-free – (I mean, I love my nail wraps and if you’ve ever used them then you know the smell that is there when you open that package) But I do try to eliminate what I can!
These were really easy to make and I made the mixture in about 5 minutes. But then I did let them sit on the counter to harden overnight before I took them out of the trays.
I stared with mixing together the soda and citric acid, then the oils then slowly, the water.
Once everything was mixed well I added it to these ice cube trays that I picked up from the dollar store just to make things like this! Make sure you pack the mixture in well!
And then, as I said above, I just let them rest on the counter overnight to let them dry up.
- 1 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid (I found mine in the canning section)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 30 drops Lemongrass Essential Oils
- small spray bottle
- a mold to put the mixture in. (I used a regular ice cube tray.)
- Mix the baking soda and citric acid
- One drop at a time add EO in. Stir well.
- Using a spray bottle with water, spray the mixture once then stir. Spray again then stir. It’s important that you don’t overspray as it will make the mixture sticky, but if you don’t use enough it will be dry and crumble.
- Use your hands to mix until it is lump-free and just the right amount of water.
- Pack the mixture tightly into each mold you are using. Let them dry overnight, then carefully remove them from the mold.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To use, drop one toilet bomb into the toilet. After is fizzes scrub with a toilet brush. Let sit for 10 minutes before flushing.
Have you ever used or made Essential Oil Toilet Bombs? What did you think?