Yay for February! I have to say that I am super bummed that the Seahawks aren’t playing in the Super bowl this weekend…. but we did go the last two years so it’s ok for them to have a break, right? Actually, no, it’s not. I wish I were watching a game this weekend that I cared about. Instead, I will be watching a game where I am rooting for the team I dislike the least…
A super great thing about game day is the food. I normally have a pile of hot wings, chips and salsa, pizza rolls, etc. But this year I thought I’d spice it up a little with some Frito Chili. It is still cool here so some warm chili on a cool day is good for me!
I really love this chili recipe from I Heart Eating. Anything recipe that I can dump in the crockpot and let it sit for the next few hours is a win in my book. Especially since it will be one less thing that I have to cook!
But this one is super easy.
Dump in your beans, tomatoes and chilies.
Dump in your seasonings.
Mix it all up.
Dump in your browned and drained hamburger.
And give it a good mix.
Let it cook for a few hours then top with cheese, avocado, sour cream, red onion, your possibilities for toppings are endless, but don’t forget your fritos!
- 1.5 lbs. ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can Ro-tel, undrained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp. tabasco sauce
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 c. corn meal
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 1 bag of Fritos
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef, drain
- Add garlic, cooking for just a minute or two
- Add all ingredients
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours before serving stir.
- Add in cornmeal and water, if necessary.
- Cover, and cook an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Mix corn meal with water, and then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Delicious, right? Scoops would be great too, to scoop out the chili, but I love to crush up my fritos and just eat it with a spoon. Gives your frito chili and awesome crunch!
Are you watching the game this weekend? What kinds of delicious food do you make?