I can’t believe it is almost Christmas! Who is ready? I am, I am! I decorated the house early this year and made treats, had Tyler’s Christmas program at school, got shopping done early, I m in the spirit! However, I still have all of my wrapping to do and I’m hoping to get it done in the next couple of days during “quiet time”.
But for now, I am going to share this awesome recipe with you. When I first started 21 Day Fix I was searching high and low to find recipes that I could make for myself but also for my family. I was making one thing for my husband and kids and another thing for me. And while sometimes that is okay, and it works out, sometimes it is just a pain in the butt!
I really wanted to find more meals that we would all enjoy together. And I’m not going to lie. This wasn’t a favorite by everyone in the house. My husband hears the word “quinoa” and instantly backs away, and that is okay. We’ve had some interesting experiences with quinoa in the past so I get that he is hesitant! And Tyler and Zach didn’t love it either, though they did eat what was on their plate, they weren’t asking for seconds!
But my little eater, Summer, loved this One Pan Mexican Quinoa as much as I did. It is a tad bit spicy but even that didn’t deter her, she loved it. One a plus side since the guys don’t like it, it means more for me. I separate it into a few dishes and I eat it for lunch or dinner over the next few days.
You’ll start with some olive oil over medium heat and cooking your garlic and jalapeno.
Then you add everything else into the pan.
And let it cook
Then add the avocado, lime juice and cilantro. (I actually skip the cilantro because I don’t LOVE it)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a LARGE skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in avocado and lime juice
This makes a lot! And it is a little spicy but it is so delicious! A great recipe to try if you are doing 21 Day Fix or just looking for a healthy dinner! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
What is your favorite way to eat Quinoa?