Until a few months ago, I have never had spaghetti squash. Can you even believe that?
I love trying new foods and I have actually even bought spaghetti squash on many occasions and ended up tossing it out because I had never cooked it. But finally someone gave me one last fall and I searched online for an awesome recipe. After finding this Pesto Chicken stuffed Spaghetti Squash you can believe I will never buy and waste another. I couldn’t believe how delicious it was.
It was really easy. I think from start to finish was less than an hour and half of that was the actual cooking time.
I did use a seasoning too. It is the 21 Day Fix season which is something I make a head of time and always have around.
Make sure you scoop out some of the spaghetti squash and mix it in with your chicken and veggies.
Adapted from Peas and Crayons
- medium spaghetti squash
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 C. pesto
- 2 C. fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 C. bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz shredded cheese
- 1 TBSP fresh parsley to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half the long way. Clean out the seeds.
- Use a cookie sheet with edges. I use a silpat mat and lightly brush the squash with olive oil then place the squash cut side down on the mat.
- Cook for about 40 minutes, or until tender.
- While your squash is cooking, cook the chicken however you like. Poaching my chicken is my newest favorite way to cook chicken. I make it that way a lot when I make my 21 Day Fix chicken
- Chop the chicken into pieces (I sort of shredded it) and mix it with pesto. Set aside.
- In a skillet sauté your bell pepper in olive oil for a few minutes until tender. Add the spinach and pesto chicken and stir in salt and pepper.
- Add half of your cheese to the mixture and stir to combine.
- I loosened some of my spaghetti squash and stirred that into the mixture and then scooped all of the mixture into the two spaghetti squash halves.
- Top with the rest of your cheese and bake for about 25 minutes.
These were so delicious. Tyler didn’t really like it that much, but the rest of us loved it! I have made this same Pesto Chicken stuffed Spaghetti Squash since and have some more recipes in the works!
Have you ever had Spaghetti Squash?