With September just about over, it’s the time of year when I am making more and more in the oven and allowing it to heat up the house. So when I was assigned the blog Life on Food for this months Secret Recipe Club challenge I was looking for something to warm our tummies.
I didn’t have to look long on Emily’s blog before I found this Ravioli Bake. The overflowing cheese won me over immediately. Emily is a self-proclaimed foodie, and I can see why!
Since I was using my own sauce, I grabbed some out of the freezer the night before to allow it to thaw. Then I poured it into a sauce pan when it was time.
Boiled my raviolis
Mixed the two together
Added my first layer
Added my second layer
More cheese? Yes, Please!
Then cooked it up!
I used my own sauce recipe, but this one below is the original ingredient list.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, or oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 pounds store-bought frozen ravioli
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat sauce in large pan, simmering for about 20 minutes.
- In separate pan bring water to a boil and cook ravioli for just a few minutes. Drain and add to sauce.
- Mix sauce and pasta then pour 1/2 of raviolis into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Pour in the rest of the raviolis and top with other half of cheese.
- Bake on 425° for about 25 minutes or until bubbling. Cool before serving.
I used one bag of cheese raviolis, and one bag of meat. And I will say, it was A LOT! The recipes says it serves 6, but the 5 of us ate this two nights in a row, so I’d probably only use one bag next time. But it was delicious and I will definitely make it again!
What are some of your favorite meals to make as the weather starts to cool?